How many sales contacts do you try to make with a potential customer/client before you give up? This information just might give you some helpful insight: Although there are variations of the theme, most experts agree that it takes at least 5 ‘touches’ to finalize 80% of sales. The general statistics go something like this:
– 2% of sales are made on the 1st contact (touch). These are usually people who have already done their research and know exactly what they want;
– 3% of sales are made on the 2nd contact;
– 5% of sales are made on the 3rd contact;
– 10% of sales are made on the 4th contact;
– 80% of sales are made on the 5th contact.
(Some experts go so far as to say that most sales occur on the 8th to 11th touch, but that seems like it’s bordering on stalking!!) The truth is, however, that most sales reps give up long before the 5th contact. In fact, the experts say that 25% of sales reps stop after 2 contacts, and only 8-10% make 3 or more contacts.
The moral of the story: Persistence and stubbornness pays off! Work up a plan that includes at least 5 touches over a period of time, and mix it up – being sure to include value content. Send email, a newsletter, written material, promotional material, etc. The experts (whoever they are) say you’ll see dramatic improvement in your sales closing cycle if you consistently follow this model.
I hope this works for you. Why not let us know what has and has not worked for you in the past.
Until the next time,